Growing insurance company is looking for a Commercial Underwriting Consultant to join their team. The Underwriting Consultant will be responsible for servicing commercial property and casualty coverage requests including referrals from when needed and acts as an insurance consultant to both internal and external customers. The Underwriting Consultant will have knowledge of policy coverage, loss prevention and underwriting authority to complete applications. This position will also provide mentorship and coaching expertise to other members when needed.
• Commercial Property & Casualty experience
• Property and Casualty Licensed
• Demonstrated ability to analyze insuring agreements to determine coverage applicability
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work efficiently both independently and as part of a team
• Develops, grows, and maintains a profitable, diversified book of business through effective underwriting decision making, mutually beneficial agent/brokers relationships, and application of underwriting tools, systems, and expert resources under limited supervision. Guides/mentors less experienced underwriters in their respective area of expertise, including regular employee coaching with feedback to the manager on progress of the employee
• Risk Selection: evaluates or assesses the business applying for insurance by qualifying accounts; identifying, selecting and assessing risks; determining the premium, policy terms and conditions; obtaining approvals; creating/presenting the proposal to the agent/broker and successfully negotiating deals.
• Agent/Broker Relationships: Demonstrates a high level of responsiveness and focus on supporting Agents and Brokers objectives through successful negotiations. Develops and maintains the relationship through responsive service, site visits, in person renewal meetings or enhanced knowledge of their customers businesses.
• Portfolio Management: Manages a book of business by analyzing the portfolio, identifying areas of opportunity for improved growth, profit and diversification, and executing marketing plans to increase market share with preferred brokers.
• Documenting the Deal: Documents files in a way that reflects a solid thought process and decision making through comprehensive account reviews, sign-offs and referrals.
• Leadership: Formally and informally guides, mentors, and coaches underwriters in both technical and professional skills.
• Continuous Improvement: Actively participates in continuous improvement by fully engaging in daily huddles, generating suggestions, following appropriate procedures and work principles, participating in problem solving activities, and using continuous improvement tools to support the work of the team
BS/BA college degree. The knowledge and skill levels acquired through undergraduate level studies especially in the areas of business administration, finance or marketing and a minimum of 10 years of multiline commercial insurance experience.
Minimum 4-8+ years of full time work experience in commercial insurance can be utilized on a year for year basis as a substitute for a degree. Intermediate-level knowledge of insurance products/coverage, market segments and marketplace; insurance finance and actuarial concepts; loss control/risk engineering; marketing/selling techniques, regulatory environment and reinsurance; advanced-level knowledge of underwriting, pricing, risk selection, territory management. Ability to apply underwriting/appetite, tools, systems, and resources to achieve goals, solve complex problems, establish and build healthy working relationships, participate in mentoring relationships, and negotiate as normally acquired a related bachelors degree, five year to 8 years of commercial lines underwriting experience preferred; CPCU or professional insurance designation preferred.